MediCompare is committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website users. We ask that you read this policy below carefully because it contains important information about how we will treat your personal information when using our website.
1. What information do we collect about you?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
- information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views, website navigation and more);
- information relating to any transactions carried out between you and us on or in relation to this website, including information relating to any purchases you make of our goods or services;
- information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us;
- information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our website services, email notifications and/or newsletters;
- any other information that you choose to send to us including, for example, postal address, email address, telephone number and occasionally other information about you from other sources (such as credit reference agencies) which we will add to the information which we already hold about you in order to help us provide goods and services;
A cookie consists of information sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
We may use both “session” cookies and “persistent” cookies on the website and they are used for purposes including tracking visitor use of the website; recognising you whenever you visit this website; obtaining information about your preferences, online movements and use of the internet; carrying out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our visitor requirements and interests; targeting our marketing and advertising campaigns more effectively; and making your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
Session cookies will be deleted from your computer (or other electronic device) when you close your browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer (or other electronic device) until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
How to turn off cookies
Most browsers allow you to reject all cookies, whilst some browsers allow you to reject just third party cookies. For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking “Tools”, “Internet Options”, “Privacy”, and selecting “Block all cookies” using the sliding selector. Blocking all cookies will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one.
3. Using your personal information
We may use your personal information to:
- help us identify you;
- administer the website;
- carry out research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- enable your use of the services available on the website;
- carry out customer profiling and analysing preferences;
- supply to you services purchased via the website and collect payments from you;
- notify you of any changes to this website or to our services which may affect you;
- undertake credit scoring and credit checking;
- send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications;
- send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
- send to you our newsletter and / or other marketing communications relating to our business which we think may be of interest to you by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- provide third parties with statistical information about our users – but this information will not be used to identify any individual user;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website;
- other uses to enhance the website and its use
Where you submit personal information for publication on our website, we will publish and use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
We will not without your express consent provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information:
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling;
- to any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
5. International data transfers
Information which you provide may be transferred to countries (including the United States, Japan & other countries) which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the European Economic Area. However, we will take steps to ensure adequate protections are in place to ensure the security of your information.
In addition, personal information that you submit for publication on the website will be published on the internet and may be available, via the internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use or misuse of such information by others.
You expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
6. Security of your personal information
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall- protected) servers. All electronic transactions you make to or receive from us will be encrypted using SSL technology.
Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will not ask you for your password (except when you log in to the website).
Whilst we will use reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data which are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We may monitor and record communications with you (such as telephone conversations and emails) for the purpose of (specify, eg quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance).
8. Information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his or her personal data
- receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices
- give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad]
- give consent to the processing of his or her (insert category or categories of sensitive personal data, eg health information).]]
9. Your consent
By submitting your personal information you consent to the use of that information as set our in this policy.
10. Policy amendments
11. Your rights
You have the right (subject to the payment of a small fee as mentioned below) to request access to any personal information we hold about you. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing;
- make the payment of a fee (currently fixed at £10.00);
- supply appropriate evidence of your identity and address (for this purpose, we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor or bank plus an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address);
- specify the personal information you want access to, including any account or reference numbers where applicable.
We may withhold such personal information to the extent permitted by law.
You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing;
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details);
- specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.
12. Third party websites
13. Updating information
Please let us know if the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.